
Hello there! This blog is going to be a doozie of a blog because there is just so much to write about. So that could be a great thing for those of you who enjoy my blogs or a terrible thing for those of you who hate to see them pop into your inbox. But if you are one of the latter, than I don’t respect your opinion anyway. Anyway, just gonna jump right into the good stuff.
Anyway, I was trying to play it responsibly, so they know that I am not a bad influence on their sister. Even Sapna wasn’t her usual get-up-and-dance self. I was itching to dance, especially after my third glass of wine, but I took all my strength to restrain myself. Then, all of a sudden, the owner of the bar, who also is in the band that happened to be playing that night, took the spotlight and started shining it on people, and he shines it on me and says ‘What is the matter with you? You are always the first one dancing! Are you on antibiotics?!’ So much for playing it cool, huh?
By the next bar, I was dancing like a crazy person, because even I couldn’t stop the wine from having its effects, and Sapna’s sister later told me that I told her that ‘It’s so cool that she’s old and still drinks.’ She’s only 27. I don’t know why I make these wild claims.
XYZ
This is just a little story to relay. Again, I went out with Sapna, her sister, and Sapna’s roommate, Elena. So we were getting our dance on in this French bar, and we were the only ones dancing, as per usual. Because we were the only ones dancing, we had a lot of people looking at us, and laughing. Or so I thought they were laughing at our dancing. It wasn’t long before I was in the bathroom and went to pull down my fly to go tinkle, when lo and behold. My fly was very down. And my superman underoos were very exposed. That’s probably what the French were snickering about. “Oh look at zat stooped American wiz her underpantalons showeeng.”
The Xray Shown ‘Round the World.
So, last Thursday my friend Matt came to visit. He had never been to
Then it all took a turn for the weird. She took out a letter and gave it to Matt who gave it to me, since it was in French. It was basically a letter stating the results of some lab tests she had received. So I had no idea what she wanted from us. So I said, ‘oh that’s too bad. Sorry.’ And she just looks at me. So I just keep saying different things in regard to what it says, but eventually we both just give up.
But then, she reaches in her purse and pulls out this manila envelope. Then opens it, and VoilĂ …it’s a hand Xray. She takes it out and holds it to the light so that we could look at it, and then she shows us a swollen spot on her hand. And then she lifts up her skirt to show us more swollen parts on her leg. Matt and I are just stupefied. So we just sort of sit there in silence and wait for the bus to come while intermittently glancing back at the exposed leg and Xray. So much for convincing Matt that Nice is quite normal.
Driving on a Full Tank of Funny
So after going out all night on Thursday night, Matt and I woke up really early to head to
I was Didier’s subpar navigator in the front seat, along with the dog he is dog sitting, and Matt was keeping us entertained from the backseat. We were rocking out to some music, and I just kept the zinger’s coming. My moment of glory (or shame) came when we had to pay toll in
We arrived at about
Anyway, we finally made it to our hostel, which was pretty nice, except we had a room on the first floor which connected to room where all the worker’s stay so we couldn’t close our door, and so that was just a little weird. But they were cool about letting the dog stay with us, and they even watched the dog while we did sightseeing, so we were liking the place even more.
The first stop was the Museo dell’Academia, where the statue of the David stands. That was probably the most amazing thing I saw in all of
After the museum, we went to dinner at this place that took us about 30 minutes to walk to (which we later learned was only 5 minutes away if we took the direct route). So we had one bitch of a waitress, but I had my Italian pizza, and it was really so delicious. The crust was so doughy and heavenly. Well worth the mistaken extra 25 minutes to get there!
After Pizza Heaven, we went back to the hostel where I got dolled up to go out on the town. I actually had a friend from Nice who moved to
OH! I almost left out the best story of the first day!! So Didier had to go into the hostel to get the dog before dinner, so we met up with him, but decided to wait downstairs (the hostel is on the third floor), for him to come down. So we were waiting on the sidewalk next to a window of the first floor of the building where the hostel was. All of a sudden this woman comes to apartment building, and she starts talking to us in Italian, so we have no idea what she was saying. Then she goes in English “Away from my window. I don’t like people under my window.” Then she goes inside and so Matt and I move a little bit away from the window, just thinking how unfriendly the lady was. But nothing had us prepared for the next thing she was about to do. Matt goes ‘I bet she is going to look out the window to see if we are still there.’ Not only does she look out the window, but she opens the window, bucket in hand, and next thing we know, there is water being thrown at us. So my jean’s leg is soaked, so I move a little further from her window, but then she comes around a second time, and throws more water at us. Like projectile water shooting. Not nice. Those little Italian ladies can be crazy! But like protective of the window crazy. Not Xray showing crazy.
I think it’s fair to say that this day was one of the most exhausting days of my existence. I wasn’t feeling too well, I think mostly from lack of sleep, but nevertheless, we headed out into the streets of
We headed to the Duomo and another Cathedral where we just walked around and did the picture bit. All the art was pretty much the same in the Churches at that point, so we did them pretty quickly.
Then we saw Didier off, and Matt and I went to the train station to buy our tickets back to Nice for the next morning. So after walking all the way there for the tickets we went back to the Museo dell’Ufizzi, where we had previously bought our reserved tickets (which is a super good idea if you ever go, because it saves you at least an hour’s waiting time to get in). So there we got to see Boticelli’s The Birth of Venus, and his Springtime, and I got to see my first ever in person DaVinci, which was pretty awesome for me, since he is my favorite artist. There were also a lot of statues to be seen, tons of paitings, and just lots of walking. At that point I was getting extremely exhausted, and the paintings were all starting to look the same. So we hurriedly did the rest of the rooms, and then a couple hours later were out of the museum.
On the way to the train station we serendipitously found a Serial Killer Museum, so of course, I had to go see that, too. In theory it was pretty cool. There were wax renderings of a chosen 11 serial killers, and then we got these recording devices were we were offered the stories behind each one. It would have been much more exciting if we weren’t so tired at that point, but it was still pretty cool. I learned that
After a little rest back at the hostel, Matt and I headed back to the bar area and went to this place the guy in the hostel recommended, called
The third day started at the buttcrack of dawn, with our train leaving at
Genova was absolutely gorgeous, though. Going past in the train, and seeing the Italian landscape with the
Back to Nice
At about
We hit the bars up in Vieux Nice after that and then headed back where we would finally be able to sleep until whenever we saw fit. (I saw
Matt’s last day was pretty chill. We went back downtown where we got Gelatos and did a little shopping. We also did the ferriswheel, and then dinner at a Hibachi restaurant. Together we did a whole lot of eating. Which was delicious in its own right. Then we went out to meet up with Sapna and her sister for a little while, and then headed home, because Matt’s taxi was to come at
And so that brings me to today. Matt left this morning, and since then I have done nothing but sleep, eat, and watch movies. It’s my vacation from my vacation, and I love it.
Anyway, That was the mega-uberlong-stupendous blog I had to offer to you. I hope this finds you all well, and I will now start my official birthday countdown…
Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it….
Miss you all!!
XOXOX
Dina

No comments:
Post a Comment