Hello everybody. (That’s my introduction at the start of each class, and now the students know my routine, so they scream it before I get a chance to say it. Fresh mouths they have.) I hope you are all doing well. I hear the weather is getting better all over, so that’s always a bonus. Yay for warm weather. [Addendum: I hear the weather now sucks there. Sorry for the preemptive congratulations…] Here the temperatures constantly rise and fall, and it’s hindering my beach going. That and the fact that I wake up at
Ok, so this is going to make me seem a little psychotic, a little neurotic, and a little adorable (if you’re my mom), all rolled into one. So everyone knows it’s pretty easy to make hard-boiled eggs. But I had never done them before, so I looked to my mom to offer me some advice on how to do them. As I thought, you put eggs in boiling water (who would have guessed?!) and leave them in there for a few minutes. But the point of this blog is not to teach you how to boil your damn eggs, it’s to explain why I am so loveable.
Just a random note to tell you how much of a world traveler I am. By the end of this week, I will have bought 3 tickets in the span of less than 2 weeks. I am going to Paris the 13th of April, Belgium the 24th of May, and for all of you that were worried this day would never come…I am coming home the 29th of June! Go me! And I am dead set on taking a trip to
Last Sunday and I, Sapna made our way out into the world, finally, after spending too many nights staying in with Prison Break. So we headed to Ma Nolan’s, where we did what we usually do. From the beginning though, Sapna had announced her craving for a crepe. And the thing about crepes is as follows. Once the word crepe is announced, everyone who heard the word is automatically conditioned to crave it, too. It’s Pavlovian to the core. So the both of us were then on a mission to get crepes.
One of the teacher’s at work approached me the other day and asked me if I could possibly translate something for her friend from French into English. I understood it as a housing advertisement, and figured it should be short and sweet, and good practice for me anyway. So I happily agreed, and she offered to give me a thank you present at the end, to which I implied she was silly, and we giggled, and I went on my happy and ignorant way.
I hate doing laundry. Here it’s such a process. We have no washer, nor dryer, so not only do we have to handwash, but we have to hand dry, too. On the one hand it’s good, because I don’t have any of those shrunken sweater incidents, or the old turn-your-favorite-white-teeshirt-pink dealies. But, on the other hand, I have to do a good 5 loads since our sink is not very big, and the dry rack is even smaller. And that was all unnecessary segue into this story.
The Threat to End All Threats
So you know when you are younger and the ultimate threat when you’re in school is the “We’re going to call your parents” threat. Or the mother with the old “Do you want me to tell your father?”. Or the sister with the “I’m gonna tell mom!” Anyway, you get the point. So I found it really funny the other day when I was leaving work, and there were all these parents around to pick up their children. I was waiting to cross the street, and I saw this little boy being a little slow and finicky in his leaving. Then I hear his mother say “Stop it! I am going back and telling your teacher!” And I am not kidding when I say this kid practically yelled “Noooo!” and completely became obedient at that moment. I can only imagine what the teacher must be like at that school (it’s the kindergarten, too!). It reminds me of those books I read when I was younger with the really mean teacher who was really a witch. Or maybe she was just French.
1) Wentworth Miller (old, yet still somehow new)
2) Veggie Burgers
3) Kiwi (and homemade fruit salads)
4) Dried Bananas
5) My new mini blender
6) The beach
7) Taking Pictures
8) Youtube.com
Yes, the title of this segment is confusing, and maybe a tad disturbing. But that girl is my hero with what she doesn’t mind saying…outloud…in public. But the other night we were dancing at
After they played, Angelique, well acquainted with the wine bottle at this point in the night, took it upon herself to start discussing Newton’s theory of Evolution with the teacher, and how Newton wasn’t such a revolutionary since it was only a matter of time since someone discovered gravity (all the while using electric chords, drumsticks, and anything else inappropriate to further demonstrate her point). He said he had to go.
And on the
The Beach
I’m there, and you’re not. The end. But then again, my whiteness blends me in with the rocks, and your doesn’t.
Passover Pizza
So, for some reason I take it upon myself to not eat bread, pasta, or anything floury for the week of Passover (which is what you are supposed to do). This year was a little easier, because the week before I decided I needed to cutback on all that stuff anyway, and started to eliminate it, save my “Cheat Sundays” where I get to eat what I want. Anyway, to celebrate the end of the holiday last night, Sapna and I went to get some pizza. It was soooo good. Who would have thought a place called “La Pizza” would have such good pizza? It was so busy, and so filled with Italians, too. That’s one thing about the warm weather here in Nice. You know how rain brings out the worms? Well sun here brings out the Italians. It’s fun though now seeing all the people at night and on the beach J.
I am trying to think of some other good stories to relate, but I think so much has happened that I can’t think of just one good one. Thus I will leave you at that. I will try not to wait so long between blogs in the future!
I miss you all very much!
CIAO xoxoxoxox,
Dina

No comments:
Post a Comment