Monday, June 11, 2007

Year in Review. Or just 9 months.

So, as many of you are aware (and if you are not, I am impressed with your filtering capabilities) I have kept a blog detailing the crazy accounts of my stay here in Nice, France. My time here is quickly running out, to which I feel mixed emotions. I’m quite excited to see my family, friends, and ex-familiar settings at home, but I am also leaving behind some amazing things…the Beach, some great people, the gelato, the lazy lifestyle (although this is TYBD). I have been really lucky to have been able to take this opportunity, and as people constanly ask me these days “Would you do it again?”. I would, absolutely, do it all over again, but maybe while changing a small aspect here and there.

Anyway, I hope to put one more real blog out there (at least), but I also felt some sort of random blog was necessary. I giggle realizing that every blog entry was random. But this is not so much a compilation as a public critique on what I had to offer through the months for you fine folks. I am going to quote what I received in e-mails and messages, and add my own charming editor’s comments where I see fit J.

Enjoy…

From: Tibi, the father of the Niçoise.

“I loved to read your detailed first day recount. I hope you make a habit out of this and will continue to delight us daily (or at least close to daily) with the lively and amusing personal reportage from Nice.”

Editor’s Note:
I hope you’re happy. Look what you made me go and do ;)

From: Jason from Jersey whom I met in Nice

“I've seen a few of my friends who have come back from Europe already and they all have amazing tans. It seems you don't have the same luck...”
Editor’s Note:
After an initial ‘shut the hell up,” I take a deep breath and make a realization:
1) Back in the 1800’s pale was beautiful.  And I am a retro kind of girl.
2) I still have more than 2 weeks of beach going opportunities…don’t judge me yet.

From: Dan, our Brussels Chaperone of sorts

“i read the whole thing this time.”

Editor’s Note:
Damn straight.

From: Angel in Chicago, my Tulane Suitemate who danced with me randomly in our rooms.

“Hi Dina!!!!!!!!

I'm sneaking on at work to read your emails :o !”

Editor’s Note:
Thanks Angel!! I knew you had good taste!

From: Robert in Boston, one of my great cousins.

“I’m so delighted to be added to your blog. It was a great read! Your writing is entertaining and energetic — and I loved seeing the pictures.”

Editor’s Note:

The pleasure is mine J. But I apologize to all those random e-mails I added to people not wanting to receive said blogs…but that’s what the filter option is for.


From: The other Dan from Jersey, who owes me platinum jewelry.

“i'm gonna read your e-mail, i need my weekly dose of heavy sarcasm”

Editor’s Note:
Man, I wish the French appreciated sarcasm more.

From: Tommy in PA. With incredible insight…

“haha you are hysterical...I'm in the middle of a miserable 11 hour workday,
and that email definitely just made my night....might have ruined my appetite a lil,
but made my night nonetheless.”
 Editor’s Note:
That was in reference to the cow brains blog. I do not apologize for it. But thanks for the compliment. Definitely makes me smile
J.


From: David in NJ, the brother who tried to convince me I was adopted when I was younger.

“You're a damn good writer.”

Editor’s Note:
I must have gotten those skills from my biological parents, whomever they may be ;). Thanks for the praise there, brother!


From: Jerry in Jersey, whom inspired the expediting of many a blog.

“And officially, thanks for sending the e-mails. Love every one of them.”

----

“I refuse to write you an email back in protest. It’s exactly what you would want me to do.”

Editor’s Note:
Thank you for the constant affirmations. They were always much appreciated. And as for the second comment…you’ve been working with my mom too long, cause you already know her daughter so well!


From: Chris in Florida, who should come back to Jersey soon!

“Haha, you used 'subpar' twice in one post! You know I have that phrase copyrighted you know? That'll be $500 USD please =)”


Editor’s Note:
While I admit, I did double my usage of the word after having heard you use it when we first met, I refuse to accept your copyright claims. $ 500 USD is only like 5 euros, anyway. Won’t get you far here.

From: Drew in NJ, who got me hooked on the Office.

“holy cow dina, i want my 45 minutes back!!”

Editor’s Note:
I am aware that some of my blogs are quite long, but when the muses are calling, you can’t cut them off. You know?


From: Ian in NJ, who likes to claim to have been the inventor of every phrase, idea, and notion.

“These emails make me think of when I used to send some out at the beginning of my freshman year :)”

Editor’s Note:
Of course they do
J. Just kidding. I really enjoyed those e-mails. You should send them to me again!


And while I can’t seem to find any good quotes from my mom (I’m guessing they’re in messengers and not e-mails), I have to say she was the biggest inspiration for my blogs. Her constant nagging and insistence really got me typing away. But I definitely also received the most praise from her…I would imagine it would go like this:

From: Sarah in NJ, the epitome of the Jewish Mommy

“You’re the best friggin’ daughter/writer/gene carrier a mother could ask for! Now sit your butt down and produce us a blog!”

Editor’s Note:
Thanks mom! You’re the best!


So that's what I have for you now, folks. I hope you enjoy.

See you soon!
XOXO

No comments: