Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm here!


Bonjour everyone!

I am writing to let you all know that i made it to France safe and sound. I already met some pretty neat people, but only one of which i will see again ;). I met a really cool lady on the plane. She was going to France with her college roommates to celebrate their 50th birthdays. I thought to the future, and I think I like that idea. Next was the patient Taxi driver, who was the first victim of my broken French. He was very very nice though, and even understood what I said!! He brought me to my apartment (which is very cool, but could use some pics on the walls...hint, hint:send pics), where i met Alix, my roommate. She is very nice and also extremely patient with showing me around. Those that know me well know that my sense of direction is subpar, and she has been really nice about taking me places.

Yesterday, we went to one of the castles and climbed up the landscape and from the top could see all of Nice. It was quite beautiful and incredibly peaceful! I wish I had a picture, but alas, I was lazy and neglected to bring my camera. Then, after the long ass walk (it's fair to say I walked about 4 miles), Alix and I got dinner at a quaint little restaurant. I had some vegetable soup which was delicious, and we were packed in really close to the other patrons, so the ones next to us started to speak to us. They were an older couple from Australia (you better believe I mentioned you, Megan) who talked nonstop, but were very friendly.

Afterwards, we went back to the apartment where I couldn't sleep, but entertained myself with some French TV....I was sort of hooked on this teen drama about this guy who gets dishonorably discharged from the military and afterwards goes to Vietnam in search of his love, who he finds out isn't in search of his. Wah wah.

Today I opened my first official bank account in France...again, with a very patient bank teller. It's not as cool as a Swiss account, but it's still pretty neat. After that we went to the beach, which was BEAUTIFUL. Unfortunately, the beaches aren't sandy, but instead rocky...and they aren't pebbles, either. They are big fatty rocks, which you better believe I fell on while trying to get to the ocean. The water was beautiful, though...It was a clear bluish green color, but you could see right through it. And no seaweed in sight. But i did see a jellyfish which prompted me to run in the opposite direction. Refer back to falling incident. I also sat next to these old women, and I was just sitting their minding my business, and I sat up for a second to put some suntan lotion on, only to lay down and see the ladies had also layed down, and had their old lady feet right in my face. It made me want to throw up a little...and it also made me giggle a little, and quickly face the other way. I also talked to some Frenchmen, and they offered to take us around France, but it was hard to give them our numbers when we lack cell phones. So we will have to wait until someone offers us while in the possession of cells.

Afterwards, I did my first little grocery shopping excursion where I bought some french chocolate, of course. (to the parents: they are so much cheaper here). I also bought some cheese (how french!) and some other random goodies for myself. I want some peanut butter though:(.

Then I went back to the apt. where i opted to watch an Italian gameshow...i figure this way I can knock two birds (languages) out with one stone (2 TV shows). The roomie and I were dying for some internet htough, so now we are taking advantage of a bar, and I am drinking my first glass of wine (rose) in order to obtain their wifi security code. I can't really complain too much about that though...

Anyway, I know this is crazy long and goes into some inane details, but it's my first e-mail so I need the practice to get it down to an art. Send me some mail :) I miss you all very much already, and I can't wait until I figure out a better way to get some internet access, so I can talk to you all more often. Hugs and kisses!

Missing you,
Dina

No comments: