Monday, October 02, 2006

You lucky ducks...Update number 2


Bonjour everyone!

It's me, Dina, reaching out to you from the French Riviera ;). Um, there is so much that has happened since my last e-mail...

Let's do a mini recap, shall we? Hmmm?

Ok, Saturday...I went to the beach again. As you will see, this pattern will be repeated numerous times throughout this e-mail. It was a pretty good time. I decided to fly it solo that day, just to make sure, if all else fails, I can find my way to the beach. So after a trip to the bank, and the post office, I ventured downwards to the water. Sure enough, I found my way, and to reward myself, I bought myself an ice cream. It was chocolate, and it was delicious!!

That night Alix and I were both pretty tired, so we decided to stay in.

Then Sunday, they have this deal in Nice where the first and third Sundays in Nice are free at all the museums. So Alix and I decided to take advantage of this deal, and we went to the Musee des Beaux Arts. It was choc full o' paintings from the different time periods. It was pretty cool. Not too many names I recognized, but I suppose those are reserved for the Louvre.

After spending some time at the museum, Alix and I went to the beach. Surprise, surprise. We then had to head back to the apartment to get ready to go to the hostel for the evening.

So after a quick shower, and a quick packing job, Alix and I were given a ride to the Relais de la Jeunesse, by Sharleen (she's the coordinator of the program, but conveniently lives the floor above us). At the hostel we got the opportunity to meet a bunch of other people in our school district, but unlike the United States, a school district here has schools in Nice and in other cities that can be up to 2 hours away. So after some mingling, we were treated to some hostel dinner. It was pretty good. Everything always tastes better when it's free though somehow. I am not sure how that works. But it does.

After dinner, we did some more mingling with some espresso, beer, or hot tea. I chose neither, because I was mentally preparing my senses for the forecoming night spent in a room with 8 girls. I met a really cool girl that I actually talked to before the trip through e-mail, and so I finally got to meet her in person. I promised her that I would take her to the beach the next day (i think it was more of a selfish thing than an altrustic act), since she is staying in Toulon, one of the cities that's 2 hours away. So after a few hours of talking with some of the others, we called it a 'night', which was more like an extension of the day, since it was nearly impossible to get some sleep with all the noise. At one point during the night I decided to reposition in my 1 foot by 2 foot bed, but for some reason i couldn't do a slight turn, I had to do practically a complete 180 turn, and bellyflop onto my mattress. Unfortunately, the mattresses were reallllly squeeky, and upon turning, I awoke to hear the German chick in the room (who I didn't know spoke English) yell "Zyou arr beeeing ztoo loud!" So I was now the loud one in the room. Who knew that turning could be so dangerous?!?

In the morning, we were treated to breakfast, at 7:00 AM, which was more like a wake up hour before we had to go to a bunch of meetings. Since Sharleen calls us neighbors, she also asked us (me and Alix) to lead a group of people to the Rectorat from the Hostel. I was responsible for the non English speaking group. It was quite funny leading the group of 100 people across the street. If you could see the faces of the people stopped in cars at the crosswalk....priceless.

Anyway, after some standard 'welcome' meetings, we were given yet more food. It was one of those buffets, though, where you can't really tell what anything is. They were all finger foods, but half the fun was just guessing what you were eating.

After that, Mieko (the cool girl from Toulon) and I headed back and we went onward to the beach. When we got there (way later than we hoped), the sky was pretty cloudy, so it wasn't as awesome as it usually is, but Mieko really liked the water, so we swam for awhile and then headed back where we found a bus stop so she could head back to Toulon.

Afterwards, I called me mums, and was starving so i went to the little grocery store. Tomorrow is Alix's birthday, so I decided to buy some delicious looking ravioli, and treat her to a pre birthday dinner. It was pretty good, but would have been delicious if it were free...

That brings me to now. I am just chilling, once again with my glass of rose wine, watching two germans chickies get their dance on to a remake of C&C music factory's "Everybody Dance Now" (I noticed that the music here is all American music...i am listening to Shakira now, and all over is Justin Timberlake and the Pussycat Dolls).

I still miss you all, and think you should all visit. I would also love if anyone has any pics from home to send them to me!! Also, if you want to keep me entertained with mail, my address here is:

Chez Mme CRAIGHERO
Re: Dina Berkovits
54 Avenue Bellevue
06100 NICE France


XOXO MUAH XOXO,
Dina

No comments: