Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hello From Nice, Version 4.1

Helllllo Everyone! I am here in Nice. Still. I guess I am nearing week 2 here. It's still beautiful here. I had an observation today at a different school, which was pretty cool, but I didn't get to really interact with teh kids at all today. Although they were all curious about my name. And I am learning people here have a tough time with the name Dina. They all prefer Tina. So in France, I am Tina.

Anyway, after my observation, I went to the beach in my work clothes and sat on a bench overlooking the beach for a good hour and a half. I couldn't believe I could be entertained just sitting there. But it is so calming, I couldn't remove myself. And it is great for people watching (AKA making snap judgements of everyone I see).

And now I am at a NEW bar trying to use their internet cause La Sansas is mysteriously closed today. I don't like this bar as much. It's too official with the WiFi deal. I like my free things to be simple. What's the fun in being a Mooch who needs a password. Nah uh.

So, let's see. What is new and fun since I last sent an e-mail?

ICE CREAM! Oh yeah! So, you know how people who travel sometimes keep a log of the restaurants and fancy food they've tried in different places? Well, on a much less sophisticated note, I am going to become a connaisseur of the different flavors of ice cream. And I can honestly say, that when it comes to French ice cream terminology, I am learning it quickly. Une boule = 1 scoop, Parfum = flavor, Gouter = to taste, Je ne suis pas gros = I am not fat. So, so far I have tried Three Chocolates, Kinder, Tiramisu, plain old Chocolate x 2, and crap, there was definitely another one, but i forget the flavor now. I will get back to you on that!

So what else? Wow, I am really having a hard time thinking of some anecdotes from France. What's going on here? Maybe it's cause all my time is spent on the beach! So let me tell you some things I saw on the beach recently. No poo, thankfully. That joke already got old 5 minutes after I made that discovery. And no Megan, I am sure they weren't mini baby ruths :p.

OH! Here's something dandy to talk about. They shut off the gas in our apartment. And no, I am not talking about that old man downstairs who has a bad case of flatulence. I mean, walk in the shower in the AM ready to get rejuvenated by a steaming shower only to realize all too late that the only thing that's steaming is your anger at the spray of frigid water hitting your body. Not that I am speaking from experience or anythign >:\. The only good thing about the no gas thing is that I know have a free pass to make everything in the microwave instead of trying to make the roommate think I know how to cook (which is actually me just boiling water, anyway), and I don't have to fear burning off my eyebrows each time I strike a match to light the stove. I value my eyebrows.

So that's about it. I am lucky enough to be looking out at the beach right now, in fact, and it is quite foggy here. THe one day I attempt to straighten my hair...Oh yeah, and I also went to go for my medical visit yesterday, and they let me keep my chest XRay as a souvenir, I guess, or a giant placemat. So if anyone is into Modern art, and that plays nicely into your furturistic living room set up, let me know, and my chest is yours for free.

I hope all is well with everyone. I miss you all still very much!!! And to those of you sending me letters and e-mails, I appreciate it very very much!!!!!

LOVE XOXOXOX,
Dina

No comments: