Sunday, October 22, 2006

I went to the beach in late October, suckers.




Hello there everyone! I am here in Nice. If this is news to you, than I have been doing a really awful job in my writings. Good. Now at least that is out of the way. I am at La Sansas today using the internet. No, I am not being ghetto outside on a park bench stealing the WiFi today. "Why not?" You ask. Because it's already dark here, and I wanted to enjoy a delicious orangina and Tex Mex salad anyway. And now my breath smells like a giant Onion Tree. Even though onions don't grow on trees.

Anyway, let's see what I can talk about first. This weekend has been pretty slow. On Friday I went out with some of the girls to a bar called Checkpoint. It's a good crowd, because there are English speakers, French speakers, and other people, too. Right now, the world is really split into those two options for me, and all other fall on the periphery. So anyway, we went to this bar, and I met Sapna there and Angelique. Then a bunch of other assistants came (Renee, Liz, Ashley, and Martine). We had a really good time dancing and talking, and just being silly. Yeah, I said silly.

So, Martine is an assistant of Spanish, and he is from Mexico. And he looks like he should be in the movie Desperado. He has really long, full hair. So, I am giving this detailed description to segue into my next story. Which I hope he never reads. So while all of us were hanging out, this woman comes up to me, and goes "You like this sort of thing? Guy with longer hair than you?" To which, I just said "Oh, he's our friend." To which lady with the crazy accent says "He looks like animal." Me: "Oh. Haha." Crazy Accent: "If you were really good friend, you would tell him to cut hair.". Me: "...I'm gonna go dance now." So that was sort of awkward. I was taking a verbal assault on behalf of another person, given by some random outsider. So foreigners are weird. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Friday night was a good time. I even have pictures :)

Saturday was also a slow day. I had to go food shopping because all I had in the cupboard was a can of Tuna, and empty box of cereal, and the milk that I accidentally put in there instead of in the refrigerator. So yeah, I was out of milk, too. So I walked all the way to the grocery store, only to find out that my timing was off and I was smack in the middle of the French equivalent to the siesta. So I went home and watched some Melrose Place instead. Speaking of Melrose Place...when I said that French TV was bad, I spoke too soon. I heart Melrose Place. But I think the time elapsed over the years is what makes that show so good. Seeing the tight jeans with flannel shirts...TUCKED IN on Doug Savant from Desperate Housewives makes me way too happy.

Anyway, I finally made it to the grocery store, and then I went to steal the internet and do all that good stuff. But then on the way home, I took the bus, and I almost saw a senior Citizen brawl break out. I was just standing there minding my business, when I see two older people come on the bus. So this lady stands up to offer the seat to the old lady who just came on, but as she approached the chair, so did an old man at the same time. And this old man had super powers...in the form of crazy amounts of ear hair. I was ear level with him, and I am saying I could have braided a rug with his left ear alone. But that's neither here nor there. Anyway, they both hesitated for a moment, and the lady just sat down. But the old man wasn't liking that. Nah uh. So he offered a rebuttal to her move by saying that he was old. To which she didn't even have to say anything, cause she was clearly old. To which he said "I am holding a big bag". But she was holding one, too. Finally this woman next to them, who wasn't as old started telling off the old man, saying that it's only fair for the woman to get it, and yadda yadda yadda. So finally, a couple minutes later when they decided they were too tired from all the energy exertion, the old man just went to the back of the bus and took a seat there. And I was finally able to both giggle to myself and stop looking at ear hair.

Then yesterday night, I went downtown to Vieux Nice again, where we went to another bar, and a club, which made me so mad cause they charged 20 Euros to get in, and then they wouldn't let us take in our purses, so we had to pay even more money to check them in. And I just hate clubs as it is, so I opted to take my tushy, and get a cab home. So I stopped this taxi, hopped in, and the driver automatically knew I wasn't French from my accent, but was surprised that I was American because, and I quote, "You speak good French for an American". But I told him that with some wine, it gets even better. To which he said "18 euros, get out". Ok, he didn't say that, but it really was 18 euros for a 10 minute ride.

So today was a slow day. It was a really cloudy and cool morning, so I decided to walk downtown to see if i could find some curtains or something for my room. By the time I got there though, the weather had turned beautiful, so I decided to take the five more minutes and walk to the beach. Unfortunately, I didn't even think to bring my bathing suit, but I ended up lying on the rocks and soaking in a little sun anyway for a couple hours. Apparently old men don't like girls that sit alone, because 2 old men asked me if I was sad because I was alone. It's not acceptable to be single in France, it seems.

So that was my weekend. I am trying to think of good activitites for my little Frenchypoo students for Tuesday, since it is their last class before the break that extends through Halloween. So if anyone has any good ideas for me, let me know please :). Songs would be especially helpful!

I miss you all very much!
And it is officially 66 days until Megan comes!!!!


XOXOX,
Dina




No comments: