Saturday, October 21, 2006

I Think This Is Number 6

Hey hey hey! How are all of you people doing? I am doing pretty well. I think I am getting sick, though. It's impossible not to here with the everchanging weather. It changes more frequently than my underwear. First it's crazy amounts of hot in the day, then it drops down to crazy amounts of cold in the night. And then it rains, while poor Dina has to make the couple mile trek to her work sans umbrella. Needless to say, my nose is running like it's its fulltime job. Oh yeah, and it doesn't help that my roommate has been sick for like 3 weeks now, and the other assistants are also getting sick left and right. So that was my Nice rant. As in the city. Not as in the adjective.

So what's new? Well...I was talking to Matt, and he was talking about the A-Team, which reminds me that I wanted to tell you about my TV watching adventures. So a few days ago, I returned home and just wanted to watch some good old TV. So i flip the channels and all of a sudden I see a Black guy with dangly Dreamcatcher earrings, a mohawk, Bling before it was popular, and some crazy little get up. Needless to say, I had just flipped the channel to the "A-Team". Mister T was suddenly fluent in French. But to my dismay, his presense wasn't as commanding. I am pretty certain they chose a little White boy to his dubbing. So imagine big ol' Mr. T, saying "I Pity the Foo'", but in French, and high pitched. Loses some of the effect, huh?

Other than that, the TV is pretty lame here. Lots of game shows, and there is this show called the Star Academy, which is like American Idol, except here the contestants live in a house together and they include the reality drama aspect of that. The only cool part of that show is that they pop up with little captions whenever some sort of dramatic irony is present. It makes me giggle. Like this: tee hee.

So other than TV, and "The Office", which I am addicted to now, I have been occupied with work a little bit. It's getting a little difficult to make lesson plans because I teach 8 classes, and they all seem to be on different levels. So, I seem to forget what I went over the previous class, but it's quickly made obvious with the look of terror on the childrens' faces when I start to sing a song and they can't sing along. Or maybe it's just my voice. Wait, no, it's definitely my voice that strikes up the terror. They love songs though! I did the ABC song, which a lot of them already know until the 'Now I know my ABC's part'. But if you listen carefully, you can tell they are singing a bunch of nonsense words that sound pretty convincing. Like "Na ayno ma ABC, nexta wunju seeng wisme". And then I tried to teach them "10 Little Indians". They sing the numbers REALLY loudly, but the little indian part is just my crazy loud voice singing.

And there is definitely an old guy right now across from me watching me type. Which is very French. However, not many Frenchman here wear full out Sailor garb (the hat included) when they are clearly not on a sea voyage. That is what makes it a little creepy. And funny. But creepy.

So what else? Oh, last night I went to another Assistant's, Sapna's, apartment because she was throwing a housewarming party since she just moved in to her new apartment. There were some other assistants, as well as some of her roommate's friends. It was a pretty good time! I practiced my French more there than I think I have in all of France, thus far. There was the other girl there from Romania, actually. She has been in France for 5 years, and speaks very well. So we talked for a long time about Romania, cause she was quite excited to learn my family is from there. The roommate and his friends were also all studying film, too, which was pretty cool to talk about. OH, and I officially got word from a French person at the party that I looked like Evangeline Lilly. So now my number is 13 I think :). And someone said I looked like Charlize Theron, to which I profusely thanked them, and everybody shook their head almost violently, but then I realized he probably only got that notion because I told him I was born in South Africa. And that's how he got the Charlize connection.

Afterwards, last night, I went out with Sapna and Angelique to a discotheque. It was sooooo crowded. But we were talking along the way, and I asked if it ever just strikes them at random times that they are in France. Cause I had one of those moments. As I was walking and seeing everything written in French, I just had to stop and think "Holy Crap! You're in France!". And then when we got to the bar, where there was French rap playing, Angelique decided that that was one of those moments. I decided again when we were rocking out to "It's Raining Men" in a hip club. I was just waiting for some David Hasselhoff to come on. Or perhaps some mention of Jerry Lewis.

Ok, sailor man left, but now there is a pigeon sitting on the bench with me. It's quite cute actually. And creepy. But cute :)

Anyway, I am going to take a quick walk to the beach to nostalgically look at the water, and pray for a sunny and warm day tomorrow. I hope everyone is well there, and keep sending the e-mails :):):)!!


Miss you all very much!!
XOXOXO
Dina

No comments: