Sunday, November 26, 2006

It's a loverly warm and sunny Sunday in Nice

Hey Everyone! I hope you are all doing well, and I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving, and an even better Black Friday. France is so the opposite of that, you would not believe it. The Christmas shops barely see anyone walking in and out of them, and the other stores (even the mall) appear to have the same volume of people in them as well. Although I have to say the grocery stores are crazy packed here. But that’s how it always appears to be, I am told.

Since Friday, not too much has happened here. It’s been a rainy weekend until today. Thank goodness it is beautiful outside, because I was very ready to jump out of my 4th floor window if the sun didn’t show itself.

Friday I went downtown to use the internet at Wayne’s, but was sad because they neglected me. I think I am becoming too much of a regular there that they think they can forgo all good service with me and I will still go there like clockwork. So I decided I shouldn’t show my face there for awhile. But guess where I ended up meeting Sapna and Elena on Friday night, merely 5 hours later? Yup, Wayne’s. There was a weird live band playing there, and they did some decent covers [READ: She by Green Day], but they also did some really bad ones [Can’t think of any of the bad ones right now]. And there was this older lady rocking out next to me. Like think soccer mom scantily clad, drinking like a fish, and trying to grab at the singer of the band. So she is wasted like you wouldn’t believe, and I guess she tried breaking out some dance move that was too young for her…and next thing I know, she is clawing at my face and grabbing onto my arm to try not to fall, but I am starting to fall with her, and Sapna is trying to hold me up. Somehow I stayed on my feet, and decided it was time to have an unspoken territorial dance off with Oldie McMom. So Sapna just broke out our moves to whatever horrible song was playing and we won our spot.

And then all of a sudden I see the singer pointing to me between songs. And then he says over the mic “I’d like to introduce you all to Kate from Lost. She’s in the house right here.” And then I just laugh. And he continues “Kate, don’t let Jack be mean to you!”. So I just laughed and said I actually get that a lot. Sort of weird, sort of flattering. I still don’t see it though, but I think that brings my overall count to 18 or 19 times that I got that one. Never over a mic to a crowded bar, though. That’s a first.

After the band came laptop DJ. I kept making the guy standing next to me angry because he was right next to me and I kept implementing my arms in my dancing, and in doing so, kept jabbing him. But he was just standing there on the tables not dancing (and they are for dancing!), so I justified it that if he were dancing, he would be moving to much to be met in the face with my elbow. But he left soon after, so Sapna and I just danced the night away without a care. And it was a gooood time.

That brings me to Saturday. It was again rainy and dull, so I just sort of slept in and watched shows on my laptop. And ate. Boy did I eat. Then Alix and I took a trip to McDonald’s for internet. That place dulls in comparison to downtown for internet. And here is the deal in France. Lots of younger people here have MP3 players…some like IPods and some on their phones. And the ones with players on their phones like to play their music at loud volumes, but without headphones. So, in short, they are imposing their music on you on the bus, on trains, and always at McDonald’s. Downtown is too classy for that ;).

Then after McDonald’s I did some grocery shopping and I came home ready to cook myself rice with Chicken, mushrooms, and curry sauce. I am trying out this whole cooking thing, and starting small. But at one point I was reusing the pot that I used to heat up the mushrooms to heat up the sauce. So there were a couple tiny pieces of mushrooms still on the bottom of the pot, but some crazy reaction happened when I poured the sauce in the pot. Before I knew it, a piece of mushroom was flying full force out of the pot and landed on my hand. I was attacked by a rabid mushroom. I think that was an external force telling me that the flying mushroom was a sign that I should quit cooking while I am ahead.

After dinner, I took my exhausted bum to bed, watched a couple episodes of Reno 911 and actually fell asleep mad early. And now it’s a beautiful day, and you better believe I am downtown using the internet. AND I miss you all, and I miss the hustle and bustle of the holidays in the good ol’ US. Keep me informed about how it is .

It’s that time again for some By the Numbers:

2 days that the leftover stuffing lasted. It was delicious.

4 hot chocolates I had in the last week. I think I am obsessed with that stuff, and if anyone wants to send me American Hot Chocolate Mix, feel free.

1 shout out I got from the band on stage. “We’d like to welcome Kate from Lost” is what they actually said.

3 times my Irish friend made fun of me for using the term “potty mouth” in one night.

3 amazing new episodes of Desperate Housewives I watched Friday night.

5 times I entered Wayne’s this week. (It’s a bar with free WiFi during the day, and awesome Dancing during the night).

9 o’clock I went to sleep yesterday. I was that dork on a Saturday night.

4 days it rained in a row here. So much for the 200 or so average days of sunshine Nice is supposed to have.

7 episodes of Reno 911, Season 4, Drew sent me to fall in love with that show all over again.

13 times my ‘randomizer’ on Windows Media Player started with Come on Eileen.

1 time the guy in McDonald’s told us that we had to eat something to use their WiFi.
0 things we decided to consume after he told us that.
0 times he reinforced his rule. Sucka.


And now for the Conversations of the Day:

This student was very motivated to speak English with me, which was awesome, but it resulted in some randomness. He knew damn well what time it was…he just wanted to say it in English ;).

Student says:
hello
Dina says:
hey
Student says:
my name is joris
Dina says:
hello Joris
Student says:
how are you?
Dina says:
good thanks. How are you?
Student says:
y im happy
Dina says:
good
Student says:
i see you tomorow?
Dina says:
yes
Dina says:
ton anglais est tres bon! bravo! (Your English is very good !)
Student says:
what time is it?
Dina says:
5:53
Student says:
2 minute plaes
Dina says:
sure
Student says:
no
Student says:
good by
Dina says:
goodbye
Student says:
good bye!!

----------------------
And now to counteract the last e-mail with the student that told me I have to continue my French studies, I thought this was a good ego booster, and thus had to share with you…

Student says:
hello
Dina says:
hello
Student says :
la dernier fois tu a BIEN parler en francais (the last time you spoke in French WELL)
Dina says:
oh merci! (oh thank you!)
Dina says:
en classe? (in class ?)
student says :
yes
Dina says:
tu aimes le lecon de THanksgiving? (You like the Thanksgiving lesson ?)
Student says:
oui
Student says:
c'etait trop BIEN (It was very GOOD)
Dina says:
awww Bon!! J'aime le chanson de la dinde (awwww Good !! I like the song about the Turkey)
Student says :
tu as BIEN EXEPLIQUER (You EXPLAINED WELL)

[NOTE : I learned I lied to them about some of the facts, too. Apparently it’s not the third Thursday of November…]

Student says:
moi aussi c'est marant (me too it’s funny)


I wish I could send you a video of me and the French Fries doing the Turkey Gobble Song. It was really funny. But that’s all I’ve got for you! Keep sending your e-mails! I really love receiving them!

I miss you all very much!
XOXO
Dina

No comments: