
Hello there everyone. I think it's time for a new e-mail. And I had so much to write in here, but at present I can't really think of anything that I wanted to say.
I did want to talk about my first apartment cockroach I spotted the other day. Of course it had to make a statement by crawling around and being spotted chilling by all our dishes in the kitchen. Nothing more wonderful than imagining cockroach pooplets all over your plates everytime you eat. But it looked the same as an American cockroach, I am pleased to announce, just with smaller bone structure, and it was wearing a beret and smoking a cigarette. And unfortunately, I have the "I can't kill a bug" disorder, cause I feel both guilty and scared of karma, and that sucker was quick...so I never actually captured said cockroach. However, I haven't seen him or another one since, so I am just pretending now that we don't have a cockroach problem.
There are some cute work stories I can insert here now. I have been demoted in my students' minds from teacher to compadre. In French there are two different forms of 'You'. There is a formal one, which you use with friends and family, and then there is a formal one, which you use with strangers, older people, and figures of higher authority. So first, my kids decide it's cool to start using the informal you with me, and online started telling me their boy problems and stuff (how interesting that they should know I could relate to them, huh?). But next thing I know, my students are coming up to me and giving me the double cheek kisses, reserved for friends that you have known for awhile, and such. It's really cute though.
I also ran into some students walking home from downtown yesterday. It took me awhile to realize who they were, and they were with their mothers. So they stopped and said 'hi', and their mothers were looking at me suspiciously, and they finally ask their kids "and this is who?" and then I awkwardly say the English teacher, and then walk off quickly. But Sapna tells me that she sees her highschool students out a lot here, and they tell her they saw her at the bar last night, or other places like that. So I think my awkward moments are still the better end of this deal.
What else? I really can't think of anything. So I will insert my Conversation of the day now...
This is referring back to the rehashing bad tales of 6th grade love.
student says:
tu sais j'ai un amoureux:-* (you know I am in love :-*)
Dina says:
avec qui (with whom?)
student says:
non mais en fait je l'aim mais lui non : yohan (no, but in fact I like him but him no. Yohan)
Dina says:
ah d'accord (ah, ok)
Dina says:
c'est la vie (that's life)
Dina says:
je le sais bien (I know it well)
student says:
ouais mais bon il a dit pleins de trucs méchants sur my !! yes, but he said lots of mean things about me)
Dina says:
oh c'est pas vrai! (it's not true!)
student says:
si ! ma copine lui a demandé si il m'aimait et il a dit non car il me trouve trop moche !! (but yes! my friend asked him if he liked me and he said no because he finds me to ugly!!)
Dina says:
oh, c'est parce qu'il est un homme et jeune. Meme s'il t'aime, il dirait ca! (oh, it's because he is a young man. Even if he likes you, he would say that!)
student says:
il est trop ... méchant !!!!!!!!!!!!! (he is too...mean!!!!!)
Dina says:
c'est les garcons pour toi! (that's boys for you!)
Dina says:
c'est tres different avec les garcons comme tu deviens plus agée. N'inquietes pas! (It's very different with boys when you become older. Don't worry! I LIED HERE TO MAKE HER FEEL BETTER. SHE SHOULD BE WORRYING!!! :p)
student says:
merci (thank you)
So, that's all I think I have for you today. I do have some Thanksgiving pictures to offer you though. And I also have some vain pictures to show you, which I took last night, because I liked my hair. Yes, because I liked my hair. I said it.
I hope you all have an excellent weekend, and I hope the weather is a little less crappy wherever you are than it is here.
*cough, cough*
I miss you all very much!! MUAH!!! XOXOX
Dina

No comments:
Post a Comment